Recycle Week – 21-27 September
Now in its 17th year the theme this year is about thanking the nation under the banner:
‘Together We Recycle’
This is to celebrate the sacrifices that key workers and citizens have made to keep recycling going and create positive change in the world around us.
I was so impressed and grateful that our recycling and waste continued to be collected throughout lockdown.
- Recycling rates increased by 30% during lockdown.
- Food waste levels were reduced with 50% more people checking stock levels before shopping and 30% more people cooking creatively.
Setting Up A Recycling System
To recycle effectively it is important to have a simple organisational system. This may be in your kitchen, utility room or garage.
1. Audit: Be aware of the recycling that you generate. Do you have lots of cardboard, papers, bottles, tins or food packaging.
2. Set up a recycling zone: If you have excess recycling you may need to schedule in a trip to the tip weekly.
3. Reduce: review your purchasing behaviour to see if there are ways to reduce the volume of packaging that you need to recycle.
Do you have a system in place?
Where is the recycling zone in your home?